Friday 23 September 2011

Below

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:2002
Country of origin:USA
Director:David Twohy
Genre:Haunting
Starring:Matthew Davis, Bruce Greenwood
Rating:4/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276816/
Tagline:Six hundred feet beneath the surface terror runs deep
Favourite line:"It used to feel like a big ocean, didn't it?"

One of those strange films that you enjoy without ever really understanding what is going on. And I wasn't alone - the person I watched it with was none the wiser either.
An American submarine crew in the second world war pick up three survivors from a wreck, all of whom are apparently British. As it transpires, the injured survivor is actually German, whom the submarine Captain promptly shoots.
Fair enough.
After this, all manner of creepy goings on occur, and it soon becomes apparent that the sub' is haunted. The vessel takes on a mind of its own and forces the crew to return to the location of the initial accident - though why, I couldn't say.
Stunning visuals and a real sense of menace, this is well directed by the man who brought us Pitch Black.
The acting is also a cut above the average straight to video fodder which I presume this is. I don't think it got a theatrical release, though I could be wrong.
Enjoyable stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment