Wednesday 21 September 2011

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:1988
Country of origin:USA
Director:Renny Harlin
Genre:Canine urine reanimates Freddy? Really?!?
Starring:Tuesday Knight, Lisa Wilcox, Robert Englund
Rating:4/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095742/
Tagline:You shouldn't have buried me, I'm not dead
Favourite line:"You shouldn't have buried me, I'm not dead."

Surprisingly good fourth instalments of the Uber-slasher franchise that makes me think, if this level of quality keeps up, that the Elm Street series could well be on the verge of becoming my favourite of the Big Three slasher movies out there.
The plot: Three of the survivors from Part 3 are still at high school and one, Kirsten, is convinced that Freddy is not dead.
She's a smart girl.
Well, soon enough, Freddy is resurrected when, in a dream, a dog urinates fire onto his unconsecrated grave (I'm not making this up) and duly dispatches the three of them, but not before Kirsten can pass on her ability to pull people into dreams to her friend Alice, a fine looking young filly, enabling her to seek assistance when Freddy comes a-stalking.
Whilst there is nothing new on offer here, still this ticks all the right boxes and has some moments of genuine gore thanks mainly, I imagine, to the presence of Screaming Mad George, he who came to infamy through his effects work on the magnificent Society.
Marks dropped here are mainly down to the limp ending, in which Alice tries to beat Freddy up!
Never going to work, love. Never going to work.....
That aside, this is a fine example of Eighties American multiplex pleasing horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment