Wednesday 21 September 2011

A Return to Salem's Lot

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:1987
Country of origin:USA
Director:Larry Cohen
Genre:Vampiric sequel
Starring:Michael Moriarty, Ricky Addison Reed, Samuel Fuller
Rating:2/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093855/

Tagline:No tagline
Favourite line:None worth mentioning

Really disappointed with this, primarily as the man behind both the camera and the pen is Larry Cohen, a man for whose work I hold a great deal of affection.

The plot:
An anthropological sort makes the mistake of vacationing with his son in the New England town of Jerusalem's Lot, a town whose inhabitants are more Undead than Unwelcoming, and soon becomes embroiled in a scheme that would see him writing them a new Bible, all of their own.

I'm gonna 'fess up.
I only got forty minutes in. The action on screen so derisory and, cruicialy, deathly dull, I could face little more. I think the last movie I walked away from was Transformers, just to give you some context: something has to be a real shitfest before I hit the stop button.
Poorly acted, weakly scripted - unusual for Cohen - and with no sense of atmosphere or theatre, this was a real let down.
And given that, according to IMDB at least, this cost more to make than Skyline, I was certainly hoping for more than was delivered.
Dull as distant thunder.

No comments:

Post a Comment