Sunday 2 September 2012

Guinea Pig: Devil's Experiment

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:1985
Country of origin:Japan
Director:Satoru Ogura
Genre:Splatter
Starring:Unknown
Rating:4/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0161634/
Tagline:No tagline
Favourite line:N/A - Subtitled

First of the infamous Guinea Pig series, this is Japanese film-making to make Western minds quake as surely as their cities.

The plot:
Three men hold a young woman captive.
They torture her.
Punching.
Kicking.
Using metal claws.
Abusing her whilst unconscious.
Subjecting her to objectionable sounds.
Cutting off skin.
Burning her.
Covering her in worms.
Throwing guts at her.
And, finally, sticking a needle through one of her eyes.
Then the film ends.

With no opening credits, no music, no sense that this is a ‘film’ you are left bewildered, unable to truly comprehend what you are watching.
Sickening is a word I use with caution, but here it applies – a worm crawling towards a wide open eye socket has the power to chill the blood of the hardiest of souls.
There is no reason for this film, no merit, no way to rationalise why this was made. It’s about watching a young woman being tortured in the most deplorable way imaginable, and then deciding whether this is in any way entertaining.
I found it truly repellent, and actually became angry as the film progressed, furious by the end that I had watched the bloody thing.
Not that I’m blaming those that made it.
I chose to watch it.
They made it, and challenged those like me to endure it. I accepted their challenge and, now, some twenty minutes later, I feel ashamed.
Truly traumatic, this is indefinable in terms of genre and, as such, has social importance, even now.
As nausea inducing as filmmaking gets, the thought that this is part one of a six part series troubles, as I know for sure I’ll be watching the rest.
Mosefus is concerned.
Mosefus wants to watch the next one.
Mosefus tries not to think about maggots.

No comments:

Post a Comment