Sunday 25 September 2011

Day of the Dead (2008)

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:2008
Country of origin:USA
Director:Steve Miner
Genre:Zombie remake
Starring:Mena Suvari, Nick Cannon, Michael Welch
Rating:3/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489018/
Tagline:This spring, the dead will rise!
Favourite line:'By the power of Greyskull.'

May Romero forgive me:
A lot of criticism has been levelled at the recent spate of remakes of classic horror films, some of it well founded though, I believe, one mistake is common to all these complaints: The comparison of old and new. Inevitably, if held up against the majesty of the source material, a movie such as Day of the Dead can only ever be considered redundant, but if considered as a movie in its own right, with no recognition of its remake status, some enjoyment can be found.
Whilst it adds precisely nothing new to the zombie genre, this is still an efficient enough effort by Steve 'Friday the 13th 2 & 3' Miner there are sufficient scares on offer to satisfy most horror fans and, with a gore level set on 'light to medium' you can even watch it with your girlfriend, you lucky swines.
The zombies themselves are the fast '28 Days Later' variety, which is a bit of a disappointment, though hardly unexpected.
It's not a masterpiece, folks, but it is hard to pick any real holes in it and, believe me, I am trying.
I guess if I wanted to be really strict in my judgement I could mention the fact that Ving Rhames presence merely serves to confuse as, initially, I assumed he was playing the same character as he did in the Dawn of the Dead remake, not someone altogether new. Additionally, Mena Suvari is the least convincing soldier I've ever seen to the point that, when she says 'I'm a soldier,' you simply think 'No, you're not. You're really, really not.'
See what I mean, I'm having to really look hard to find fault.
Enjoyable, if not a patch on the original but then, it was never going to be, was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment