Sunday 30 October 2011

They Live

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:1988
Country of origin:USA
Director:John Carpenter
Genre:Alien invasion paranoia
Starring:Roddy Piper, Keith David, Meg Foster
Rating:5/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/
Tagline:Who are they? And what do they want?
Favourite line:Paranoid sci-fi frights

I think this is my favourite Carpenter movie.
Yes, I know Halloween is a masterpiece and, yes, yes, I think that The Thing is superb.
What's that?
The Fog?
Yep, that's superb too.
What?
Shut it!
Whilst Carpenter's more 'straight' horror movies are, on the whole, excellent, this is the one that gets my pulse rate soaring.
Blending horror and sci-fi with a rather healthy dose of utter paranoia, this is one of those films that has a 'Holy Christ' moment in, which I won't elaborate on here for fear of spoiling.
Seriously, folks, this is one of those Sixth Sense moments that just completely blind-sides you.
'Rowdy' Roddy Piper is more than proficient in the lead role, a role apparently written with Kurt Russell in mind, and you can tell.
Stand out moments: The previously mentioned 'revelation' and the rib-tickling extended fight sequence between the two main characters.
A masterful sci-fi horror combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment