Tuesday 22 November 2011

Blade Runner

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:1982
Country of origin:USA / Hong Kong
Director:Ridley Scott
Genre:Over-blown sci-fi epic
Starring:Harrison Ford, Sean Young, Rutger Hauer
Rating:2/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/
Tagline:The star of "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK" and the director of "ALIEN" take you on a spectacular journey to the savage world of the year 2019!!
Favourite line:I refuse to name one - I don’t want to encourage this sort of thing

The most over-rated movie ever made?
Eh?
Well, maybe not quite, but it's a strong contender.
Ridley Scott's dizzying, sprawling interpretation of Philip K. Dick's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' is a complicated beast. Part showcase for then state of the art special effects, part cyberpunk dystopic nightmare, part quasi-religious philosophising, it's a bloody mess.
That's right, you heard me.
A mess.
Oft cited as THE best sci-fi movie of all time, I get the distinct impression this is one of those movies people claim to love simply because they are expected to love it.
Well, screw that I say, this bores me to tears.
Bloated, pretentious and so painfully drawn out as to make the eyes bleed, even the presence of the imperious Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer in his best performance outside The Hitcher can't save this.
And I already know in advance that I will be pilloried for holding this opinion:
At worst, I'll be abused, at best I'll be pitied: 'You only don't rate it because you don't undertsand it.'
I do understand it, I just don't bloody well like it.
Live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment