Saturday 14 January 2012

Ali

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:2001
Country of origin:USA
Director:Michael Mann
Genre: Triumph through adversity, self-belief, boxing
Starring:Will Smith, Jamie Foxx
Rating:5/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248667/
Tagline:Forget What You Think You Know
Favourite line:"I ain't draft dodging. I ain't burning no flag. I ain't running to Canada. I'm staying right here. You want to send me to jail? Fine, you go right ahead. I've been in jail for 400 years. I could be there for 4 or 5 more, but I ain't going no 10,000 miles to help murder and kill other poor people. If I want to die, I'll die right here, right now, fightin' you, if I want to die. You my enemy, not no Chinese, no Vietcong, no Japanese. You my opposer when I want freedom. You my opposer when I want justice. You my opposer when I want equality. Want me to go somewhere and fight for you? You won't even stand up for me right here in America, for my rights and my religious beliefs. You won't even stand up for my right here at home."

Fascinating biopic of one of the most interestiong and controversial sportsmen to ever grace the world, this is unflinching in its portrayal of all facets of Ali's personality.
From his early conversion to the fundamentalist Black Muslim cause - which caused ripples of disquiet throughout America - to his sense of injustice over his treatment after refusing to be drafted for the Vietnam war.
This is passionate, artistic movie making, beautifully shot by Michael Mann, just as we have come to expect.
Will Smith is stunning in the title role - something I never thought I would write. Ali's wit, arrogance and conviction are captured beautifully.
Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment