Saturday 14 January 2012

Born on the Fourth of July

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:1989
Country of origin:USA
Director:Oliver Stone
Genre: War, human rights, justice
Starring:Tom Cruise, Raymond J Barry
Rating:4/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096969/
Tagline:A story of innocence lost and courage found.
Favourite line:"Don't you know what it means to me to be a Marine, Dad? Ever since I was a kid I've wanted this - I've wanted to serve my country - and I want to go. I want to go to Vietnam - and I'll die there if I have to."

An interesting, at times harrowing account of a staunch patriot who is injured whilst on his second tour of duty in Vietnam, and, upon returning home and discovering that he is slowly abandoned by the society he claimed to have loved, finds his allegiances shifting to the left politically.
Tom Cruise is convincing and effective as the ex-Marine turned cripple.
The only reason that this didn't get top marks is that it is slightly too long and, as is Oliver Stone's want, he does seem to spoon feed a little at times (well, he has to take account of the American audiences who needed the The Madness of King George III name changed so they didn't think they's missed the first 2 parts!!!) .
Still, powerful, thought provoking stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment