Tuesday 17 January 2012

The Deer Hunter

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:1978
Country of origin:USA
Director:Michael Cimino
Genre:Vietnam war drama
Starring:Robert De Niro, John Cazale, Christopher Walken, Meryl Streep
Rating:4/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077416/
Tagline:One of the most important and powerful films of all time!
Favourite line:"You're so full of shit, you're gonna float away."

Highly acclaimed Vietnam based movie with a stellar cast that I didn’t get round to watching for bloody ages and, I am afraid to say, left me a little cold.
Not that it's bad, it just takes so Christing long to actually do anything my cheeks were numb by the time the interesting section kicks in.
I blame Meryl Streep myself. I'm yet to see a movie she features in that I actually rate at all. It's her fault. It's got to be.
Though this is mentioned in the same breath as such fare as Platoon and Apocalypse Now, the focus here is not on the war itself, rather the after effects of the war on the individuals who survived.

Three men from the same industrial town in America enlist into the army, and find themselves prisoners of the Viet Cong. Their suffering is difficult to watch, harrowing, and this is also the section that features the infamous Russian Roulette sequence. Upon escaping, and returning to civilian life, each finds that they cannot integrate back into normal 'civvie' life as easily as they imagined.

Dark, intelligent, but way too bloated, this is intriguing if crushingly slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment