Thursday 19 January 2012

The Last Boyscout

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:1991
Country of origin:USA
Director:Tony Scott
Genre:Action thriller
Starring:Bruce Willis, Damon Wayans
Rating:4/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102266/
Tagline:The goal is to survive
Favourite line:"I'm gonna need a light. You touch me again, I'll kill ya."

This holds a special place in my heart, as it was the first 18 certificate movie I ever saw at the cinema.
And I was underage.
What a rebel.

Anyway, Bruce is back in grubby vest wearing mode, this time as a burned out, alcoholic P.I. with an adulterous wife, who gets passed a case to handle. All he has to do is protect a stripper.
No problem.
Shouldn't be too tough.
But then she's gunned down in a drive-by, and he and her boyfriend, ex-pro-foootball star Jimmy Dix (Wayans) set out to find the killers, and uncover a web of corruption leading to a high ranking politician and an owner of a football team.

Violent throughout, this is action packed stuff, slickly produced - as you would expect from the people responsible for the Lethal Weapon series - and well executed.
There are some real highlights too: The scene in the toilet, after Bruce has punched Wayans for taking drugs, when Wayans spills his heart, the whole time blood and mucus dribbles from his chin. It looks great.
The scene where Bruce asks for a cigarette, gets punched, and intones matter of factly "Touch me again and I'll kill you."
So, a quality action thriller all round then.

No comments:

Post a Comment