Sunday 22 January 2012

The Untouchables

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:1987
Country of origin:USA
Director:Brian De Palma
Genre:Gangster flick
Starring:Kevin Costner, Sean Connery, Andy Garcia, Robert De Niro
Rating:5/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094226/
Tagline:The Chicago Dream is that big
Favourite line:"I want you to get this fuck where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy Eliot Ness, I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna piss on his ashes!"

Wonderful prohibition era crime thriller.

Kevin Costner, in possibly his only good movie (!) plays Elliot Ness, a detective whose raison d'etre is to bring down the criminal fraternity that is trading in illicit alcohol at a period when owning or supplying the evil brew was a criminal offence.
Robert De Niro is majestic as Al Capone, Ness' arch nemesis, ringleader and Mafia Boss supremo who believes that he is beyond the law.

Based on true life events - though obviously artistic licence is used liberally - this is a fascinating study of one of the darker periods of American history (the current Bush administration notwithstanding!)
Superb.

No comments:

Post a Comment