Wednesday 28 September 2011

The Happening

Home
Smell the Movies
Smell the TV

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Year:2008
Country of origin:USA / India
Director:M. Night Shyamalan
Genre:Silly eco-horror
Starring:Mark Wahlberg, Zooey Deschanel, John Leguizamo
Rating:2/5
IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0949731/
Tagline:We've Sensed It. We've Seen The Signs. Now... It's Happening.
Favourite line:None worth mentioning

Well, I suppose it had to happen eventually, but Shyamalan seems to have lost the plot.
Whilst his previous movies have all been creepy, suspenseful and with a genuinely surprising ending, this time around all of the things that made his previous movies great are missing. In their place is a vaguely silly plot about the plants of the world turning against the human population and releasing some type of toxin into the air to eradicate the human menace!
Golly gosh, I'm just shitting myself already.
I distinctly remember film critic Mark Kermode ranting at length about how poor this movie is, and I felt he must be being harsh but, alas, he was bang on. He also positied the question: "What's making the wind blow?" and if you can answer that question when watching this flick, you are a wiser man than I.
And the 'twist' at the end is such a damp squib it actually made me angry.
Disappointing doesn't even come close here.

No comments:

Post a Comment